Friday, July 12, 2013

July 6 - 12 (Miles 767.1 to 843.0)

July 6 - Thunder Ridge to Johns Hollow Shelter

We weren't on the trail until 1 o'clock and we had 15 miles to do! Oops! When were filtering water, I dropped my water bottle in the rushing creek! Will ran after it and fell in the creek twice! So much for staying dry! Atleast he got my water bottle! It was a rush to get to the shelter before dark, but we made it!

July 7 - Johns Hollow to Brown Mountain Shelter

We were hoping to to do a 24 mile day but because of rain, the Virginia Blues, and I having a hard time climbing for some reason, we ended up stopping one shelter short at 18 miles.

July 8 - Brown Mountain Shelter to Hog Camp Gap

It was a dreary morning and the Virginia Blues were hitting me so hard. One forth of the trail, 500 miles, are in Virginia. It kind of gets depressing. The past couple weeks, with all the rain and the so few views, have lowered our spirits. Around noon we reached a bald. A bald! My favorite parts of the trail! So we spent a few hours up there, on accident.... :D We stopped for water when it started raining. Not again! :( So we were like 'What the heck, we'll just camp here'. It was a cute field and it was so nice relaxing in my hammock. Exactly what I needed to raise my spirits.

July 9 - Hog Camp Gap to Harpers Creek Shelter

Finally saw another bear! Yay! Climbed Spy Rock, a nice rock scramble to a view. While hiking down The Priest I rolled my ankle and smacked my knee on a rock. Man that hurt! And to add insult to injury, an hour later my foot caught climbing over a fallen tree and I landed on the same knee. Owww. We ended our 22 mile day with a few minutes of hiking in the dark. Not to bad though, I only barely needed my head lamp.

July 10 - Harpers Creek Shelter to Maupin Field Shelter

We had planned for another 22 mile day, but a couple of things didn't go as planned... As we were nearing the top of the mountain, Will stepped off to the side of the trail to a view. I hadn't seen him do this and thought he was still ahead of me. When I reached the top and saw he wasn't there, I assumed he had continued on without me. I tried to catch up but couldn't see him, which was weird because usually when he gets too far ahead of me he usually stops and waits. So I start screaming for him, trying to catch him, but I had a little thought in the back of my head that maybe he is behind me. I don't know what to do, keep going, turn around, or just sit there. When you are separated from someone, you are supposed to stay put, but what if Will was waiting for me and not looking? I got part of the way down the mountain stopped and waited for 5 to 10 minutes and decided he must be behind me and turned around and started climbing the mountain. In the mean time Will had hiked back down the other side of the mountain looking for me, saw I wasn't there, ran up the mountain, and started down the side of the mountain I was actually on. When we finally found each other, we had probably been apart for about 45 minutes. This event combined with our 2 thousand foot climb that took longer than expected, we decided that we weren't going to make 22 miles. The day wasn't a whole loss though! A family on a short trip stayed at the shelter with us and they had an adorable puppy!

July 11 - Maupin Field Shelter to Waynesboro, VA

We hiked 6.5 miles and got a shuttle into town. Food! Mountain Dew! A bed!

July 12 - Waynesboro, VA

The weather said it is supposed to storm. I know, I know, 'You can't make it to Maine, if you don't hike in the rain'. But at this point we don't care anymore. We are sooo sick of rain. Our shuttle driver even said yesterday that this has been the wettest season in years. So we stayed in town. 

6 comments:

  1. We've had a pretty rainy summer so far also. But, it's better than last year when we didn't get any rain and everything green turned brown. But, I don't blame you. Walking that trail in the rain wouldn't only be a bummer, it could be dangerous also. Stay safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe and dry. The only thing I could add is that I love both of you with all of my heart. Dad says he does, too. I can't speak for Katie, but I am guessing she would say the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mama!"! Love reading your entries on here. Wow what a great adventure and journey. Hate the rain for y'all. At least its not snow though. I bet your learning so much about yourself and what you can do and who you are. Learn from everything and everyone you encounter. Your one cool chick.. keep up the good work. Many safe travels. Love to u and Will.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to my favorite Appalachian Trail hikers in the whole world! Sorry I've bee n silent for a bit....county fair this week, and that means busy time for me. Been too tired to even enjoy the fair, plus it has been sooo hot here. I guess you could say I've got the 'fairgrounds blues' -- sure glad mine will be over in a few days!

    In looking for some scripture that would fit your 'blue' walking days, I remembered that Elijah, the prophet, was often pretty depressed. In one of our recent readings for church, he was so depressed over being scared and alone that he sat down and told God he was ready to die! I found God's solution so comforting, and so practical -- He sent an angel to give Elijah something to eat! Here are the scriptures from 1 Kings 19:

    "5 He lay down and slept under a [h]juniper tree; and behold, there was an angel touching him, and he said to him, “Arise, eat.” 6 Then he looked and behold, there was at his head a bread cake baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. So he ate and drank and lay down again. 7 The angel of the Lord came again a second time and touched him and said, “Arise, eat, because the journey is too great for you.” 8 So he arose and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mountain of God.",

    From your posts, it sounds like you are following this simple but important rule -- when the going gets too tough, don't beat yourself up. Take a shuttle, get into town and get a good meal, get refreshed, and start anew. From what I read, Virginia beats up a lot of hikers...if you can, think of it as part of the experience. I suppose if it gets absolutely too tough, you could always stop, drive to Maine, and walk back to this point -- right? Chances are you won't need to do that, but in my life I always like knowing that I have at least one other possible, real solution.

    One last thing -- the scriptures have a whole book dedicated to songs (Psalms) for a reason. Because they help. Here is a song you will remember from church that has been a comfort for me many times:

    God my God, I cry out, your beloved needs you now.
    God be near, calm my fear, and take my doubt.
    Your kindness is what pulls me up, your love is all that draws me in.
    I will lift my eyes to the Maker of the mountains I can't climb.
    I will lift my eyes to the Calmer of the oceans raging wild.
    I will lift my eyes to the Healer of the hurt I hold inside.
    I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes, to You.

    peace...Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. MAry and Will- good to see you are doing well- hated to hear the VA blues were tough to take!! Love you both an praying for you daily!! Love Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary and Will,
    I have been following your adventures this year. How amazing! Have not seen any new entries since July. Hope you are OK!
    God Bless!
    Sherrie
    (A friend of you next door neighbor)

    ReplyDelete