Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 20 - Deep Gap to Hiawassee

Today was a pretty easy day... after we got up and moving. It got quite cold in the night, so much so that Luke actually got in my sleeping bag! When we woke up, we found out that it had gotten below freezing last night, as there was a bowl of frozen water on the bench outside. Some idiot left their sopping wet boots outside the shelter and they were frozen solid when she tried to put them on (that idiot being me). I guess when you are so cold you just want to get in your sleeping bag, you don't think things through too well.

We hiked the last three miles to the road and eventually were picked up by the Budget Inn bus with 8 other thru-hikers. We were able to dry out our things and do some well needed laundry.  

Mom and Kate showed up a few hours later and we were able to switch out some gear and catch up. Ate some good Mexican food. Resupplied our food. Get to sleep in a bed. Yay plumbing!

8 comments:

  1. Hope your Sunday morning is as beautiful as it is here! We will miss your family this morning, but love it that Emily and Kate are with you! Here is the rest of Psalm 23, since the pastor is preaching it this morning -- oh, I've made some AT changes, too:

    Yea, though I thru-walk the Appalachian Trail, I will fear no evil; Your hiker's pole comforts me. Sure goodness and mercy will follow me all the miles of my trail (and all the days of my life,)and will live in my memory forever.

    peace....deb


    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're doing well. Just remember the cool weather later on in your journey say come July and August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure hope that rain stops for you this week. Signs of spring will surely show up for you on the mountain. So surprised that WIFI is at all the shelters, guess I thought it would be more remote on the trail. Have a great week hiking, it's so fun reading about your adventures. Love, Aunt Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The wifi comment was another hikers sarcasm. Someone was having a hard time getting a signal, as was I. I have a hard time getting a connection anywhere on the trail. Thanks for reading my blogger!

      Delete
    2. :) The wifi comment was another hikers sarcasm. Someone was having a hard time getting a signal, as was I. I have a hard time getting a connection anywhere on the trail. Thanks for reading my blogger!

      Delete
  4. The wet boots must have made things uncomfortable!
    SO you have room to carry a spare pair?

    Isn't it funny how something that you'd normally take for granted becomes a luxury like the plumbing? :)

    Jill in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff and Mary:

    Keep going - you're doing great. We are cheering for you here in Indy and eating cookies for AA day and Phil's b-day. Luke is so smart!
    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff says it's good to hear from you and that we are held up in Franklin, NC waiting out a storm.

      Delete