Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 22 - Muskrat Creek Shelter to Carter Gap Shelter

Luke attempted to nip at two people today. He randomly picks some people to love and some people to growl at. But in Luke's defence, when a dog gives you a warning growl, you don't continue to try to pet the dog. Idiot.

I do believe that he is only trying to protect me. He was such a sweet dog on every other hike we have taken him on, so this has come as such a surprise. He behaves well in town, but when we are backpacking I think he puts on his SuperDog suit and becomes my "hero".

We also have been having a hard time getting him to eat and he seems to be losing weight.

I cried all morning, but I decided it would be best for him and others if Luke stayed home after the Smokies.

Other than the morning upset, it was a pretty good day. Nice weather, pretty views. Better trees to hang our hammocks from tonight!  Haha

Apparently bears here in North Carolina are pretty religious... They have their own sanctuaries!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about Luke, Mary. It breaks my heart because I know just how much you love him and want him to be with you. Ruger will be very glad to have him to play with, though. I won't mind, too much, having him with us at home, either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww. So sweet, though, that he is protecting you.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete