Sunday, April 28, 2013

Things don't always go as planned...

So it's supposed to rain every day this week. But Mary didn't you know it was going to rain? Yes guys I knew it was going to rain. I planned for it to rain. I was ready to beat the rain. But there is a difference between warm summer rain where it is a free bath and cold spring rain when you are flirting with hypothermia.

Each night is supposed to be in the 30's and 40's, and if you didn't know, you can catch hypothermia in 50 degree weather and die. So we are dealing with some serious business here.

Our best option, our only option really, was to come off the trail and let this weather pass. Although this wasn't what I wanted to happen and I was a bit upset, you can't control the weather. And it's better to take a week off than be dead.

It does make things run a bit smoother. We needed to drop Luke off and pick Will up anyway, so instead of forcing Mom to make two different two-day trips, when we leave town next week for the trail that will all be done.

So I'll see y'all in Franklin this week. Bonus I get to celebrate my 18th birthday with my family. Who wants to go get a tattoo and a lotto ticket?

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having to come off the trail, but it is better to be safe than sorry, as the old saying goes.

    Your trip is amazing to me and I am looking forward to reading more about it when you resume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few extra 'zero days' and nothing to feel bad about at all! Life is good -- enjoy your rest at the Bradley Hostel -- hike around Franklin everyday to keep the momentum -- and buy that lottery ticket on your birthday! You are a blessed young lady, so undoubtedly you will win big! (I would, however, put the tattoo off until after the hike -- you don't want to have to maintain a new tat on the trail.) peace....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb has great advice, Mary!

    Kathy and Deb, I want to thank you (and others) who are encouraging my daughter by commenting on her blog. I am sure the comments will mean even more as the summer progresses and the newness wears off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading about her adventure. It makes me want to be 18 again and do something like that before 'adulthood' sets in. I can't wait for her to get back on the trail to finish her adventure!

      Kathy Lucas

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to following your blog! Have known others that have made the trip, and I think it's so interesting. Happy Birthday!

    ~Cindy, a friend of your mom's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, while it will be a blessing to your family to have you home for your bday it is also a lesson to learn that life doesn't always go as planned and we have to learn to make the best of it. So, while you're home, call Rachel and get her out of the house and make it the best for all of us :)

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is definitely a reason God wanted you home this week. You may not know until years later. But, God's Plan is SO MUCH better and bigger than ours! Enjoy your week at home with your family. Especially on your 18th birthday! I'm proud of you and what you have already accomplished in your life! I can't wait to see what all God has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We already know two good things that have happened this week. 1. Jeff was able to help on a project at work this week, helping them get on the right path. 2. Mary was able to spend a lot of time with her 86yo grandma who just came home from a rehab center last week after having knee replacement surgery. She has stayed the night with Grandma a few nights so I could come home and get things done at home and be with Jeff.

      Delete
  7. One last thing..........Did you ever think God may have someone He wants you to meet, but they aren't in place yet?

    Deuteronomy 31:8
    "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

    Joshua 1:9
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

    And at the end of your journey, my favorite verse of all time.....

    2 Timothy 4:7
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

    ReplyDelete