Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 8 - Damascus, VA to Lost Mountain Shelter

Sent home my old boots and my solar panel. Will's giant battery is large enough to charge both of our phones more than once.

It was a couple weeks delayed but Will recieved his trail name. The day we hiked out of the Smokies, Will fell in a creek, so rightfully his trail name is 'Splash'. If we just had one more clumsy person we could be 'TRIPle Threat'.

We ate breakfast/lunch at Mojoe's Coffeehouse and had the BEST breakfast bagel. So good we are going to have mom take us back next week when she comes to see us.

We didn't leave town until almost noon, which might cause problems if you have 15 miles to go...

A bridge was washed out earlier this year so we had to take a detour onto the Virginia Creeper Trail. It's a very nice trail that runs by the river and is mostly used by bikers, so you get some wierd looks like 'You know they invented the wheel, right? You don't have to walk'. Lol

We reached the shelter a little before sundown. Nice big shelter and cast of characters. Ron Burgundy, Mohawk, Wrong Way, Poptart, Salamander, Nigel, Swayze, and Hummingbird. Wrong Way has a string of christmas lights that she has strung above her hammock. Ron Burgundy cooked a feast for everyone, which sounds nice, but he was really just using us to get his pack weight down because he bought too much food. Hahaha

3 comments:

  1. Is everyone you see on the trail hiking the whole thing like you are, or are they just hiking part of the trail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see more pictures of the shelters and other hikers (maybe they wouldn't like that). But it's fun to see all that you post! Is poison ivy a problem? Would be for me! What do you eat out on the trail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You all deserve a pat on the back, for whatever part you've done or are doing! I am an "old backpacker" and just hearing about your trip is a real energy boost, and in fact I am currently getting ready to backpack in Glacier NP. I found your Gear List quite interesting, and I may have Qs later. BTW, my sister, Brenda (married your Uncle Ted), has kept me somewhat apprised of your progress (I also live in Franklin!) so I hope you can figure all that out! My name is Les Z., which could help!! Keep up the good work and enjoying it along the way. Great inspiration "for the rest of us" - YAY!
    Les

    ReplyDelete